I finished mixing the last project to be completed in the house and we immediately set to tearing things down. As of today we are 2 weeks into our transition to the new studios and probably 2 weeks from being up and running again. We have all been working long exhausting days doing everything from building and re-wiring cable to painting and caulking. We have a great team here and have also been lucky to have a lot of help from friends outside of the studio team. I hope we will continue to be so lucky as we near the finish line.
We’ve started to book studio 1, although I’m not totally sure we will be up and running in time for our bookings. We are waiting for glass to arrive and the timing isn’t working out great. Brett Acoustics is nearing the end of their work and without the glass the consoles can’t be set which means wiring is being held up. We will see how this week goes and hopefully learn more about when we can get back to work.
There is so much going on in the studios now, and things are changing so quickly, that it is hard to keep up. We have started booking time in Studio 1, as we anticipate it will be finished first, not sure if we will make our self-imposed deadline, but I’m hopeful.
It had been a while since my last walk through so I pulled out the go pro and filmed another.
I spent a lot of time this week working on logistics and plans for the new studio. Moving from one studio to two brings a lot of changes, including adding a studio manager, inventory changes, new calendar needs, etc etc. Suddenly things have changed from “the studio will be finished some day in the future” to “we have 3 weeks to get everything ready!” It’s looking like we will have at least one studio up and running in August, if not both.
Brett Acoustics has been working hard on changing these rooms into studios. It’s looking like we are about one month out from having this place online.
Things moved slowly over the past few weeks, a few small items were completed but things should start to change more rapidly starting today.
Some progress was made this week, but we are essentially in a holding pattern as we wait for the crew from Brett Acoustics to arrive.
I skipped an update last week as the progress didn’t make for terribly interesting photos.
Painting is pretty well finished now, as is the electrical, at least what can be done before Brett Acoustics arrives and can lights need to be installed in the clouds. HVAC is ready for the compressors to be placed out back. Tomorrow the concrete floors in the lobby, hallway and instrument room will be polished. We expected the asphalt out back to be completed last week but a miscommunication between the excavator and the asphalt company has set them back a week. We were also hoping that Brett Acoustics would be out this week but it sounds like it will be next week before we see them.
So here is what has been done over the past two weeks.
Things are still moving forward, we anticipate Tony Brett and his crew will be back in a few weeks, followed by Thom Canova, so our contractor is working on making sure everything is prepared for them.
It might be a mistake to update this tonight, to be honest the past few days, especially this weekend, have been tough with new problems popping up as well as a pretty big speed bump coming from the bank. Nothing to do but keep moving forward, but the magnitude of the business change we are heading into, as well as just how long it’s taking is wearing. I wish I was independently wealthy and the build was something we could fund ourselves and not have to worry over quite so much, but the truth is we got a loan, a big loan, and we still are having to come up with a bunch of money to finish this outside of the loan. When the asphalt out back is going to cost $3000 more than expected, or we need to buy another $800 patchbay, coming up with that money is getting really difficult.
Ok, enough complaining, things are moving forward and surely someday this will be finished, right?
Wish me luck, I feel Im going to need it for the last few months of this project.
The past few weeks have been mostly filled with painting, which seems a bit boring to post about, but things are progressing and we should be ready mid-June for Brett Acoustics to arrive for the installation of the finish acoustic materials, followed by Thom Canova to wire up the place and get things turned on.
One week has made a big difference around here. It’s really exciting to see the changes that happened this week and things really seem to be headed downhill toward the finish line now.
Tony Brett from Brett Acoustics arrived on Monday for his second trip to see how things are progressing and direct the construction of the studio soffits. We were happy to hear that the work so far met with Tony’s approval and we were good to move forward.
Tony will be back once more before things are finally finished, next time with a crew and all of our acoustic treatments and furniture.
I skipped a week of updating because honestly, how many photos of drywall do you want to see? Well drywall time is pretty much over and we are on to more interesting things.
I’m really getting sick of drywall dust. We did our best to put up plastic and keep the house safe from dust, but there is no escaping it, it is everywhere. Luckily we are getting really close to the end of this stage.
We are about a week from having most of the drywall done, with the exception of the soffits that will need to be built around the HVAC duct.
Are things getting closer to being done? I think the end is in sight but the extra costs are mounting and I can feel that it’s going to take some real fortitude to get through these last few months. Not sure how to better explain, but at this point we just keep moving forward and hope for the best.
Things are continuing along, mostly landscaping and sheetrock again this week although they made some strides with HVAC as well.
To make myself feel better about our progress I’m including some photos of the same area from last September.
Sheet rock and landscaping this week. They are nearly done with the third layer of sheetrock everywhere now so I suspect they will start working on the ceilings soon.
Spring is approaching and we have more rain and less snow around here. We are starting to get studio bookings that could be after the new spaces are open, but it’s still pretty hard to know exactly when that will be.
Preliminary wiring (electrical, audio, network/security) is finished and we are now heading into weeks (months?) of sheetrock work. In most cases walls have 3 layers of taped and mudded 5/8” sheetrock per side, although some walls only get two layers. Regardless it will take a while to complete.
We remain busy in the “house” studio although with the temporary wall out back removed the construction noise is encroaching.
I’ve begun to lose sleep due to worry about how we are going to afford to keep the doors open, but at this point, what can you do but move forward?
Things are creeping along, there is still so much to do, and so much that can be done but we still have days where only one sub or even none show up. Our contractor is frustrated and working hard to get them out but there is so much building going on that it makes it hard to keep subs on site.